As part of the project, we have have been organising events to disseminate our research as well as presenting our ongoing research at academic conferences.
Please click on the links to see more details about events we have organised:
An event organised with the British Embassy and the British Council in Beijing, consisting of a film screening and talks.
As part of the festival, we organised a panel on ‘Translating Anglophone queer cinema’.
Another event that we collaborated with the British Council and British Consulate-General Guangzhou
Presentations at conferences and research seminars
- Jonathan Evans and Ting Guo ‘Screening Anglophone Queer Cinema in China: Translation and Worldmaking’, Research Seminar, University of Roehampton, 20 February 2020
- Ting Guo and Jonathan Evans ‘Screening Anglophone Queer Cinema in China: Translation, Negotiation and Community’, Research Seminar, Centre for European and International Studies Research, University of Portsmouth, 18 February 2020
- Jonathan Evans and Ting Guo ‘Queer cinephilia in China: Translation and celebration’ at MeCCSA 2020, University of Brighton, 8-10 January 2020
- Ting Guo and Jonathan Evans ‘Translating Queer Cultures: Political and social issues in the translation of Anglophone queer cinema’ at Translation as a Political Act, Università degli Studi di Perugia, Perugia, Italy, 9-11 May 2019
- Jonathan Evans ‘Fan Translation as World Making’, 2019 Performance and Translation Seminar, Nida Institute, San Pellegrino University Foundation, Misano Adriatico, Italy, 8-11 April 2019
- Ting Guo and Jonathan Evans ‘Imagination and Representation: Anglophone queer cinema in China’ at Straight to the Front Row: Investigating Contemporary Western Gay Male Cinema, University of Northampton, 16-17 February 2019
- Ting Guo and Jonathan Evans ‘Translating queer cultures: new media and the circulation of Anglophone queer cinema in China’ at Asia Pacific Forum for Translation and Intercultural Studies, SOAS, London, 4-5 January 2019
Before the start of the project in January 2019, we also presented on the topic at the following events:
- Ting Guo and Jonathan Evans ‘Translating and Appropriating Queer Knowledges though the Underground Subtitling of Foreign Films in China’ at IATIS 2018 Translation and Cultural Mobility, Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong SAR, 3-6 July 2018
- Ting Guo and Jonathan Evans ‘Translating for Change’ at Exeter Speed Reading: Translation, Transmission and Transference, Exeter Phoenix and Resonance FM, 8 June 2018
- Ting Guo and Jonathan Evans ‘Fan Translation and Chinese Underground Queer Screen Culture: QAF and The Weekend (2011) in China’ at Genealogies of Knowledge 1: Translating Political and Scientific Thought across Time and Space, University of Manchester, 7-9 December 2017
- Ting Guo and Jonathan Evans ‘Translating for Change: Underground Queer Cinema and LGBT activist translators in China’ at The National Festival of LGBT History: Exeter Hub, 12 February 2017